Thursday, August 16, 2007

Post-op, Day 1

Got to walk 20 feet at 11:30am with the PT folks. They're like Dave, you can't feel your legs so you can't go on a walk. I show them that I have motor control and pass all their tests. I tell them, my left leg has been numb for 5 years, nobody told me I couldn't walk then. I finally win the argument with my wife shaking her head at about how stubborn I am. Did my 20 feet, 10 feet to the door, 10 feet back to bed, my ass hanging out their in all its glory. It felt good to get out of bed. Not to mention, the young lady from PT calls me a young man and says that I'm the first patient she has ever seen walk with an epidural. Rest of day was uneventful till around 2pm when new PT Girl comes in. She says no you can't go for a walk with an epidural. PT Assistant (huge burly man) arrives with walker and tells her he's already been out once today. So, I get to go on another walk halfway down the hall this time, I'm thinking maybe a 100 feet. Now they're talking once the epidural is gone I may not need a walker. I guess those 5 miles a day pre-surgery is paying off.

I paid for my little walk and had to increase the pain meds accordingly.

Had some visitors this evening, my two girls and mother in-law and father in-law stopped by for a couple of hours. My father in-law and I now have a lot more in common. He already is fused at the same two levels and I'm on my way to being fused. We both have the same doctor.

No comments: