Saturday, August 15, 2009

Post-op Fusion, 2 year(s) - Hardware Removal, 1 Year 2 Months

I'm finally at the 2 year mark since my Fusion surgery. It's safe to say that the surgery was quite successful in that I have minimal amount of discomfort in my back. I still get flare-ups in the SI Joints but I never expected that problem to be corrected. In fact, I would say that the SI problem is a little worse but not by much. I finally have a diagnosis for my nerve issues, Arachnoiditis.

Arachnoiditis is a debilitating condition characterized by severe stinging and burning pain and neurologic problems. It is caused by an inflammation of the arachnoid lining—one of the 3 linings that surround the brain and spinal cord. This inflammation causes constant irritation, scarring, and binding of nerve roots and blood vessels.

The predominant symptom of arachnoiditis is chronic and persistent pain in the lower back, lower limbs or, in severe cases, throughout the entire body. Other symptoms may include:

  • Tingling, numbness, or weakness in the legs
  • Bizarre sensations such as insects crawling on the skin or water trickling down the leg
  • Severe shooting pain (which some liken to an electric shock sensation)
  • Muscle cramps, spasms, and uncontrollable twitching
  • Bladder, bowel, and/or sexual dysfunction (don't have this symptom)

If the disease progresses, symptoms may become more severe or even permanent. This disorder can be very debilitating, as the pain is constant and intractable. Most people with arachnoiditis are unable to work and have significant disability. Thankfully, my condition is not severe enough to prevent me from working. I've tried numerous nerve medications (Lyrica, Neurontin, Cymbalta, Topamax, Sevella) on the market and unfortunately have discovered that I'm quite sensitive to these type of drugs.

I press on taking Oxycodone for the daily pain and Zanaflex to calm the muscle spasms to a low roar. I'm scheduled to have an SCS Trial in October.

No comments: